The City of Chandler Development Services Department is currently seeking qualified individuals interested in joining our team as a Senior Plans Examiner – Development Services Division. This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits. This posting will work a Monday – Friday 8/5 schedule. Once settled in with the team, there will be an opportunity to work a flexible schedule and occasionally work remotely.
Chandler, the fourth largest City in Arizona, is located in one of the fastest growing innovation and technology centers in the nation. Chandler is a vibrant, diverse, fiscally responsible community with a supportive business climate that attracts global industry leaders, exciting startups, talented workers, and their families. In addition to being a great place to live, play and work our local hotels, resorts, golf courses, restaurants and ample shopping opportunities make Chandler one of Arizona's great vacation spots.
Who we are
The City of Chandler Development Services team, consisting of 83 positions, provides sound land use planning strategies, responsible design development standards, and high quality, safety compliant infrastructure in all areas of Development Services, including planning, GIS, building safety, development engineering, telecommunications and utility franchise, City fiber, transportation engineering, and customer service and permits.
We are a progressive and innovative team that partners with the development community, contractors, other departments, and citizens to deliver quality services in support of the City of Chandler's Mission and Values.
Who we are looking for:
A team member with a passion for customer service, teamwork, and collaboration as well as:
- Experience performing technical review of complex building and construction plans for compliance with the International Codes; including but not limited to: architectural, structural, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, fire safety, fire alarm and extinguishing systems, hazardous materials, barrier-free accessibility, energy conservation, and other applicable standards.
- Experience in reviewing all types of residential permit applications using the International Residential Code.
- Experience evaluating alternate design methods and materials for compliance with the intent of the code.
- The ability to provide recommendations to homeowners, the Designer of Record and/or Building Official.
*Development Services/Building Plan Review Only
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, structural engineering or a related field; and
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible building plan review experience; and
- ICC Certification as a Building Plans Examiner, plus one additional (ICC) certification (registration as a professional engineer or architect in the state of Arizona may substitute as an additional certification); or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Registration as a structural engineer (PE) in the State of Arizona; or
- A structural engineer in training (EIT) who may obtain their PE within 1 year of hire.
To view the complete job classification click here
The position available is a full-time position and is subject to a six (6) month probationary period. A register of qualified candidates will be active for four (4) months should another position become available.
Applicants for employment and volunteer opportunities should be aware of the City of Chandler’s policies concerning the use of drugs and alcohol. These policies have not been altered by the passage of Proposition 207. The use of recreational marijuana is a violation of the City’s Drug Free Workplace Policy. A positive result for drugs tested under the policy, including recreational marijuana, may be grounds for withdrawal of an offer of employment or volunteer opportunity.
The City of Chandler fingerprints all applicants selected for hire to evaluate the fitness of prospective employees. The examination process may vary if determined necessary.
Please click the link below to apply.
The City of Chandler is committed to Equal Opportunity & Reasonable Accommodation